torsdag den 10. juni 2010

Towards a non-iconic multi-hierarchical society


First, an introductory remark; Due to some business in the far east (I have found myself quite locked-up actually) I´ve been rather absent from the project discussed on the blog, but is thrilled about the same and I hope from now on to be a part of it.
































With Jakobs post about a process led by some obstructions in mind, I can´t but bring up the american artist Richard Serra and his "verblist method".

"When I first started, what was very, very important to me was dealing with the nature of process. So what I had done is I'd written a verb list: to roll, to fold, to cut, to dangle, to twist...and I really just worked out pieces in relation to the verb list physically in a space. Now, what happens when you do that is you don't become involved with the psychology of what you're making, nor do you become involved with the after image of what it's going to look like. So, basically it gives you a way of proceeding with material in relation to body movement, in relation to making, that divorces from any notion of metaphor, any notion of easy imagery."


It could litterary be one of the obstructions or an inspiration to one. Working with these kind of actions leads to a a non-iconic process where the outcome is more likely to be a finding in some sort. A finding derived from the media, place in relation to the actions or in the method itself.

I think a process like this could fit well with our agenda of a non-iconic multi-hierarchical society.



More of Richard Serra in the documetary:`Thinking on your Feet´ directed by Maria Anna Tappeiner

4 kommentarer:

  1. The verb list in the introduction to Francesco Careri's "Walkscapes; Walking as an Aesthetic Practice" is also worth mentioning in this context: http://www.johndavies.org/txt-careri-walkscapes-18.jpg

    I get intrigued by the idea of a "multi-hierarchical society" (/process?), maybe hierchies is hard to avoid but could instead be time- or chance-generated?

    SvarSlet
  2. @ Jacko, could you perhaps explain why you are intrigued by the multi hierarchial society?

    As you yourself wrote, hierachies are hard to avoid. I as well believe it is impossible to avoid hierachies. But why not embrace this phenomenon and explore with previous ideas posted.
    We are now building up an reciepe, so we can COOK a dinner here in London. A meal needs hierachy to define it self. Here I can clearly mention Anders' and I's sausage meal. top in hierachy is the sausage, then comes the colour, either green or red and so on. I believe we are heading the right direction and i find all the posts really interesting.


    Due to a lot of work and different things going on here in London, I will be a bit absent from the blog the next week, though, when returning I will have more information on whats happening with the site!

    SvarSlet
  3. i want to add that i find myself intrigued by this idea of a multi-hierarchical process. i imagine hierarchies entangled as a dogmatic rule, or somehow expressed in form.

    SvarSlet
  4. i think magnus answered that one for me. instead of trying to avoid hierarchies, just embrace them as a fact but distribute the responsibilities and integrate it in the dogmas. and pass them around somehow, make it into a game or choreography, flux'em!

    SvarSlet